Newcastle Immigration Lawyers
0191 303 8965 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Am I still a UK resident if I live abroad?

UK and non-UK residency rules can affect your taxes. You can live abroad and still pay UK tax, and you will still be able to pay tax on your income and shares as long as you are in the UK within the tax year.

Our immigration lawyers and consultants have successfully processed over 5000 applications and are open 7 days a week from 7.30am to 10. Call us now on 028 4379 8564

    Request a call back from our immigration experts

    Expat UK residency rules

    When you move to another country you usually change your residence status and generally lessen or eliminate the burden of taxation.

    If you live abroad or are planning to move abroad, you must inform HMRC if you’re either:

    • leaving the UK to live abroad permanently
    • going to work abroad full-time for at least one full tax year

    The tax year runs from the 6th of April to the 5th of April the following year.

    Your UK residence status affects whether you need to pay tax in the UK on your foreign income. The UK pays tax on its income from Brits living overseas.

    As a UK citizen living abroad, you will still have to pay tax on your UK based:

    • Pension
    • Interest accrued on savings
    • Wages
    • Rental income

    When is someone considered resident in the UK?

    Non UK residents will only pay income tax if they receive income in the UK.

    UK residents pay income tax on both UK income and income they receive from abroad.

    There are exceptions for UK residents whose permanent home is abroad.

    Normally you will be deemed a UK resident in any taxable years as long as you live within the United Kingdom during the tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year).

    You’ll be considered a resident in the UK if:

    • you do not meet any of the automatic overseas tests
    • you meet one of the automatic UK tests or the sufficient ties test

    Overseas tests

    You’re automatically non-resident if either:

    • you spent fewer than 16 days in the UK (or 46 days if you have not been classed as UK resident for the 3 previous tax years)
    • you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

    Do you need help applying for a Skilled Worker Visa? Our lawyers can assist you. Get in touch

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      UK Test

      You may be resident under the automatic UK tests if:

      • you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax year
      • your only home was in the UK and it was available to use for at least 91 days in total – and you spent time there for at least 30 days in the tax year
      • you worked full-time in the UK for any period of 365 days and at least one of these days fell into the specific tax year

      If you start a new job abroad, your residency status can change from year to year. For you, the tax year is divided by non-resident and resident parts.

      This means that your income tax will only apply to income from outside the United Kingdom, often called ‘split year treatment.’ You will receive no split-year benefits if your tax returns last less than one full tax year in the UK.

      • You must check your status if:
      • you spend more/less time in the UK
      • you buy or sell a house in the UK
      • you change your job
      • your family moves in or out of the UK, or you get married, separate or have children

      Newcastle Immigration lawyers can advise you if your situation does not fall under any of the above categories, or if you are unsure of your residency status in any way.

      Can you be a resident of two countries?

      Yes. This is known as dual residence, and you will be taxed accordingly. There is an option to reside for tax purposes within several countries. Dual residence does not refer to your citizenship, only your residence status.

      Tax on foreign income

      Your UK residence status can influence the amount you pay in British taxes on your overseas earnings.

      Non-UK residents are exempt from paying UK taxes on their foreign income/purchases.

      The UK resident pays tax on their earnings regardless of whether they come from Britain or abroad. They need to pay UK tax for:

      • Their foreign income
      • Foreign investments
      • Rental income on foreign property
      • Foreign pension income

      When to report your income to HMRC

      You usually have to send a self assessment tax return if:

      • you are a landlord in the UK (rent out property)
      • you’re self employed in the UK
      • you have a non UK pension but you were a UK resident in one of the 5 previous tax years
      • you have other untaxed income

      When tax is not due

      For non UK residents, you do not usually have to pay UK tax on:

      • the State Pension
      • interest from UK government securities

      If you live abroad but are still employed in the UK, your tax is calculated automatically on the days you work in the UK.

      Income Tax is no longer automatically taken from interest on savings

      Paying UK taxes abroad

      For non-UK residents, you do not have to pay UK tax on your foreign income.

      For UK residents, you do have to pay UK tax on your foreign income, however you may not have to pay if your permanent home or domicile is abroad.

      You may be able to claim tax relief if you are being taxed in more than one country. A certificate of residence is required to become eligible for tax relief.

      Frequently Asked Questions

      In short, yes. If the Home Office considers your residency to be fraudulent, for instance if you have used any fake documents, they will strip you of that status.

      You will not have to pay UK tax on employment income if you:

      • earned it between the dates you intended to leave and when you left
      • paid tax on it in your home country

      No. If you have a permanent residence status you are able to live and work in the UK without an expiry date.

      You may be interested in reading about.

      We can help you if you need help with your Skilled Worker Visa application. Call us now

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Advice Package icon

        Advice Package

        Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

        Application Package icon

        Application Package

        Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

        Fast Track Package icon

        Fast Track Package

        Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

        Appeal Package icon

        Appeal Package

        Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

        Advice Package image

        The Advice Package

        During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Advice Package
          Application Package image

          The Application Package

          With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Application Package
            Fast Track Package image

            The Fast Track Package

            Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Fast Track Package
              Appeal Package image

              The Appeal Package

              By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Request the Appeal Package