When you submit an application for British citizenship, it’s crucial that all the correct supporting documentation is included. If you fail to provide everything the Home Office asks for then your application could be delayed, or worse still rejected.
This is why it’s important you have a good understanding of which documents you’ll need to include, as you won’t be able to obtain British citizenship unless you submit the right paperwork with your application.
To help you avoid making the common mistake of sending off your application with missing or incorrect paperwork, here’s everything you need when making an application for British citizenship.
Why do I need to provide supporting documents?
Before you can naturalise as a British citizen, there are a number of checks the Home Office needs to make to assess your suitability for citizenship. This is to establish eligibility, verify you are who you say you are and ensure you meet all of the requirements to become a permanent member of British society.
Those wishing to acquire British citizenship are expected to have a sufficient grasp of the English language. Therefore, as part of the application process, you’ll need to prove your English is at a reasonable level, and you can do this by passing an ESOL test at an approved test centre.
In addition, you’ll also need to prove you have a good understanding of the history, culture and customs of the United Kingdom, which is done with the Life in the UK test.
In some circumstances, you may be exempt from the English language and/or Life in the UK test.
If you’re over 65 or you suffer from a long-term physical or mental health condition then you’ll be exempt from both tests. You’ll also be exempt from the English language test if you hold a degree that was taught or researched in English.
Likewise, those who hold a pass certificate for the Life in the UK test as part of their application for Indefinite Leave to Remain will not need to do the test for a second time.
Full British citizenship document checklist
To naturalise as a British citizen, here’s a full list of all the documents you’ll need to submit when making your application.
- Evidence of your identity and your permanent residence status. This can be your birth certificate, passport or any other valid travel document
- Evidence of your immigration status and your right to stay in the UK
- Your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP), residence card or any other proof you hold Indefinite Leave to Remain or EU Settled Status
- Certificates for both the Life in the UK test and the ESOL language exam Evidence of lawful presence during the qualifying period.
- You must not have broken any laws, including those related to immigration
- Must meet the ‘Good Character’ requirement, which means you’ve been a law-abiding citizen during your time in the country
- Details of any time spent outside the UK during your qualifying period. To qualify for British citizenship, you must not have spent more than 450 days outside the county during the 5-years prior to your application
- Proof that you’re free from any immigration time restrictions and you have the right to remain in the UK
- Proof that you’ve exercised treaty right in the last 3-5 years, depending on your immigration status. For this, you can provide letters from your current employer, bank statements or letters from an educational institution
How Newcastle immigration lawyers can help
Here at Newcastle immigration lawyers, we specialise in helping our clients with their application for British citizenship. If you’re having any issues with locating or gathering any of the necessary paperwork, or you’d simply like some assistance from a team of professionals who deal with cases like yours on a daily basis, then speak to us today.
All of our caseworkers are experts in this area of immigration law, and they can help you navigate what can be a confusing process with ease, ensuring all the correct paperwork is included with your application and your forms are filled out to the highest possible standard, avoiding any delay-causing errors or oversights.
As well as full application packages, we offer a range of other services including one-to-one advice sessions for those who are just a little unsure and want to assess their options, and all our packages are bespoke meaning they can be tailored to your needs. To find out how we can help, call us today on 0191 303 8965
Last modified on January 6th, 2023 at 2:54 pm
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.