Newcastle Immigration Lawyers
0191 303 8965 (local rate)

Mon - Sun, 8.30 am - 6pm


We are the UK's leading immigration specialists
OISC Accredited UK immigration lawyers
We've had over 5000 applications approved
Get the correct advice from qualified immigration experts
4.7 rating 414 reviews

Graduate Trainee Visa

The International graduate trainee visa is a visa for aspiring international business leaders who want to apply for a work placement in Britain by their employer for the purpose of graduate studies.

It can also be used to transfer a senior manager to a specialist role.

Global Business Mobility Graduate Trainee Visa doesn’t actually help with settling in Britain directly. It may be possible to switch to other routes of immigration that would be effective for settlements.

The applicant can join or have the help of a partner or dependent child. A UK sponsor may only sponsor one graduate trainee per year.

Our Newcastle Immigration lawyers are here to help you with your Graduate Trainee Visa application. Call us on 028 4379 8564 or contact us online today.

    Request a call back from our immigration experts


    The Graduate Trainee visa is open to students who have completed their undergraduate degree or above (such as a Postgraduate degree like a Masters (MA), Doctorate (PhD), or equivalent.

    Newcastle Immigration lawyers can assist you if you choose to apply.

    To be eligible for a Graduate Trainee visa you need to:

    • Have a valid certificate of sponsorship from your employer
    • Be an existing employee of an organisation that’s a Home Office approved sponsor and a sponsor eligible job. In addition, linked businesses must offer graduate programmes aimed at senior leadership positions or specialisation in the UK.
    • Have worked for your employer outside the UK for 3 months immediately before you apply
    • Do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
    • Be paid the minimum eligible salary required for your job skill level requirement

    It can take up to 8 weeks for a decision to be made on your application.

    Required documents

    The documents you need to apply for the graduate trainee visa are as follows.

    You will need:

    • Certificate of sponsorship with reference number which can only be provided by your sponsor.
    • Proof of financial status (such as a bank statement)
    • A valid passport or recognised identity document
    • Your job details and occupation code, including your current annual salary
    • The name and details of your sponsor including their license number
    • Proof of relationship for any spouse, partner, or child included in the visa application process
    • Tuberculosis test results if you are coming from any of these countries into the UK

    You will need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not printed in English or Welsh.

    You may also be required to provide, depending on your circumstance.

    After you apply you may be asked to show you have worked for your employer overseas for 3 months immediately before you apply.

    • A blank page in your passport for your visa
    • Information about your graduate training program
    • Evidence you’ve worked for your employer outside the UK for 3 months
    • A valid AITAS certificate for PhD students (you will be notified in advance if this applies to you).

    If you are required to provide this information, then you will need to show you have been paid by your employer over this period.

    You can provide:

    • Online payslips or printed payslips, supported by a letter from your sponsor signed by a senior staff member
    • Bank or building society statements
    • A building society pass book

    Your sponsor

    Your employer (sponsor) will give you a certificate of sponsorship, which will include an important reference number needed to complete your graduate trainee visa application.

    It also holds information about the work you will do in the UK.

    You’ll need the reference number from the certificate of sponsorship for your visa application. You must apply for your visa within 3 months of getting your certificate of sponsorship.





    workers collaborating in an ooficial environment with a laptop to signify frontier workers

    Conditions of stay

    A graduate trainee route will allow you to undertake any work in the UK, including:

    • Paid and unpaid employment;
    • Voluntary work;
    • Self-employment;
    • Engaging in business or any professional activity

    You are not able to apply to switch to a graduate trainee visa from inside the UK because you need to have worked for your employer overseas for 3 months immediately before you apply.

    You cannot extend your visa, but you can apply for another graduate trainee visa from outside the UK.

    You can stay in the UK with a graduate trainee visa for whichever is shorter of:

    • the time given on your certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days
    • 12 months

    You must continue to be in line with your immigration rules throughout the duration of your stay. This includes any family that come with you.

    You do not need to apply again if you have a graduate trainee visa and your job changes as part of your graduate training programme.

    Your employer will notify UK Visas and Immigration.


    The costs associated with a graduate trainee visa are as follows.

    You will need to pay:

    • The application fee (£259)
    • The healthcare surcharge (£624) per year
    • Prove your financial security by having at least £1,270 in your account for at least 28 days. This is to prove you are able to financially support yourself.

    If your employer is willing to pay your maintenance charges to the extent that the maintenance cost is at least £1,270, you may not have to pay the maintenance charges to the extent required. You have to verify the information in your sponsors’ certificates.

    All family members included in your visa application will be required to pay the application and healthcare surcharge fees.


    a worker sitting on a table with a laptop in front of them. They are looking to the side, smiling and in a black suit.

    International applications

    All applications must be made online through the website, regardless of where you are applying from.

    If you need to change something in your application after you have sent it off for consideration, contact UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

    You are able to cancel your application for whatever reason. You will only get refunded if UKVI has not started processing your application yet.

    You will get an email with the outcome of your application, which will include information on your next steps.




    EU Visit Fee






    Family Visit Visa

    Family included in Visa

    The Graduate Trainee visa allows graduate students to bring their dependent relatives to the UK as long as they meet the relation and financial requirements. They will be listed as dependants.

    Each family member will need to complete a separate application and pay the visa fees. They must apply before they travel to the UK.

    They will also need your application number, which you will receive when you apply for your Graduate Trainee Visa.

    This application number is called a Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN). You will find it on emails and letters from the Home Office regarding your graduate trainee visa application.

    Dependants must pay the correct separate fees listed for partners and for children.

    A dependant is someone who is:

    • A spouse, civil partner, or unmarried partner
    • A child under 18
    • A child over 18 if they are currently in the UK as your dependant

    Their visa will mirror yours, including start and end dates.

    You will need to prove the relationship of any dependants you have listed as included in your graduate trainee visa application.

    This includes:

    • Providing marriage certificates for spouses or evidence to support the grounds for a real relationship for unmarried partners, such as proof you have been living together for over 2 years
    • Providing birth certificates for children

    If your child is 16 or over, they must:

    • Live with you (unless they are at boarding school, college, or university)
    • Be unmarried and have no children
    • Be financially supported by you

    If your child lives with you, you will need to provide evidence of their address such as:

    • A bank statement
    • Credit card bills
    • Driving licence
    • NHS registration document
    • An official letter from their university or college

    As part of their application, your partner and children will need to prove their identity by way of a biometric residence permit.


    Family costs

    Your partner and/or children must have a sufficient amount of money available to support themselves while they are staying in the UK.

    Your partner or child will individually need:

    • £285 (for your partner)
    • £315 (for a single child)
    • £200 (for each additional child)You have all been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months.Your employer may offer to cover your family’s costs during your first month in the UK – this must be confirmed on your certificate of sponsorship and by your sponsor.Your partner or child will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of the date you or they apply for this visa.You will usually need to show proof of this when they apply.



    The duration of the Visa

    Applicants can stay in the UK for as long as 1-3 years.

    Typically, a graduate trainee visa lasts for 2 years.

    If you have a PHD or other doctoral qualification, your visa will last for 3 years. Your visa will start from the day your application is approved.

    It is not possible to extend a graduate trainee visa.


    A picture of people entering an airplane to represent relocation

    Immigration Advice Service 4.7 rating 414 reviews Logo

    How can Newcastle Immigration Lawyers help you?

    Our Newcastle Immigration Lawyers have extensive experience helping businesses to bring students from overseas into the United Kingdom via the graduate trainee visa route, as well as years of experience with other immigration related cases.

    Our professional solicitors can provide support in getting an appropriate sponsorship license and sponsors, as well as guidance with supporting application documents in a timely and efficient manner.

    You can:




    Frequently Asked Questions

    Can graduate trainees work whilst their graduate trainee visa application is pending?

    The answer is yes, graduate trainees can work under the conditions of their current student visa while they wait for their graduate trainee visa to be processed.

    The graduate trainee visa route does not lead directly to settlement or indefinite leave to remain.

    Other routes that do allow for potential ILR could include the skilled worker visa, which follows a similar application process and allows family to be included in the visa.

    If you have any questions about your Graduate Trainee Visa application, our team is happy to assist. Contact Us

      Request a call back from our immigration experts

      Advice Package icon

      Advice Package

      Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.

      Application Package icon

      Application Package

      Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.

      Fast Track Package icon

      Fast Track Package

      Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.

      Appeal Package icon

      Appeal Package

      Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.

      Advice Package image

      The Advice Package

      During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.

        Request a call back from our immigration experts

        Request the Advice Package
        Application Package image

        The Application Package

        With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.

          Request a call back from our immigration experts

          Request the Application Package
          Fast Track Package image

          The Fast Track Package

          Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.

            Request a call back from our immigration experts

            Request the Fast Track Package
            Appeal Package image

            The Appeal Package

            By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.

              Request a call back from our immigration experts

              Request the Appeal Package

              We offer immigration advice sessions as face to face appointments at all of our UK offices, or via the phone. Learn more

                Request a call back from our immigration experts

                Related pages for your continued reading.