What is the UK Sportsperson Visa?
The UK Sportsperson Visa (T2) is a form of long-term skilled worker visa that allows eligible applicants to come and work in the UK in sports work at the highest levels.
It was formerly known as the Tier 2 (Sportsperson) Visa.
You must be able to prove the following in order to apply for a Sportsperson visa:
- You are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach
- You must be recognised by your sport’s governing body as a person at the highest level of your profession internationally
- You have the endorsement of your sport’s governing body
- The purpose of your employment will be to make a contribution to the development (or make a significant contribution to the development) of the sport in the UK at a high level
- You meet all other eligibility criteria
If your application is successful, you will normally be granted a period of stay of up to three years.
What are the Sportsperson Visa requirements?
There are a number of eligibility requirements. One of the primary requirements is that you have a formal job offer from an approved sporting organisation holding a valid sponsor licence.
This visa category falls under the UK’s new points-based system whereby you must achieve a minimum of 70 points to be considered eligible.
The bulk of the points can be gained by receiving your Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) from your sponsor. This will give you 50 points and proves that you are in receipt of a job offer from an approved employer.
Unlike other categories, there is a lower level of English language proficiency required. Applicants must show they have a very basic level of English speaking and listening (A1 level on the CEFR scale). Providing evidence of this ability will score the applicant a further 10 points.
Another requirement for this category is the maintenance requirement. The applicant should be able to show that they have at least £1,270 in their bank account for a continuous period of at least 28 days prior to the date of application.
How to apply for the Sportsperson Visa
To apply, you should prepare all the documents and evidence required and submit your application online.
For the majority of people, the application process will include the following steps:
- Obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer or the governing body of your sport
- Complete the online visa application at the Gov.uk website
- Pay the fee for the application and submit the required documents
- If relevant to your circumstances, you may need to submit evidence of a clean tuberculosis test
- Attend an appointment at a Visa Application Centre to provide your biometric information (facial photograph and fingerprints)
- Submit this information with the rest of your application, along with any other required documents
- Wait for your application to be approved before booking travel to the UK
What are the conditions of stay?
As with all immigration applications, there are stringent rules you must follow if your application is accepted. These include the following:
- You may work for your sponsor doing work as outlined in your Certificate of Sponsorship
- In some cases, you may be allowed to take a second job with limits as to the length of time per week you can spend on this job
- You may play for your national sports team in the UK
- You have permission to study
- You can travel outside and then return to the UK
- You are not entitled to public funds
- You must not start working before your visa has been issued
You can also apply to bring dependents to the UK (partner or dependent children). You will have to show evidence of your ability to support your dependents (£630 per person).
If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply to extend it for another three years. Following this, you will be required to leave the UK when the visa has expired. However, if you are earning a gross salary of £35,800, you can apply to extend it again.
Application fee and waiting time
In order to apply for a Sportsperson Visa, you’ll need to pay £259 if staying in the UK for up to 12 months.
If you’re staying for longer than 12 months, the fee will be £625 if you’re applying outside the UK, or £719 if you’re applying inside the UK to extend or switch (fees correct as of February 2023).
It is also a requirement to pay the immigration healthcare surcharge.
The majority of applicants will receive a decision on their application within three weeks from the date of application (when applying outside the UK).
It is possible to receive a faster decision if you pay an additional fee for the priority decision service. If you pay £500, you can get a decision within five working days, while if you pay £800, you can receive a decision within one working day from the date of submission of your biometric information.
Last modified on February 24th, 2023 at 3:19 pm
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.
Individuals who can apply for a visa include those who are recognised as highly performing individuals in a sport (either players/ participants or coaches) and have been endorsed by the sport’s governing body as an elite performer, established at the highest levels.
The visa allows individuals to come to the UK and contribute to the development of that sport.
In most cases, you can extend the Sportsperson Visa for up to a maximum of six years. There are some exceptions to these rules based on your earnings.