The Spouse visa is a visa specifically for the partners of UK based citizens or UK visa holders to apply to come and live with their partner.
As the United Kingdom’s Home Office cracks down on the scale of migrants granted access to settle in the UK, the Spouse visa is the most difficult visas to get approved.
As well as copious amounts of paperwork and legal documents that need to be submitted as part of an application, there are interviews and sufficient evidence needs to be provided to ensure your relationship is not a scam.
These issues combined means it is imperative a Spouse visa application is watertight with no errors.
There are several Spouse visa routes available if your partner has applied for one of these visas:
- An Investor or talent visa (Tier 1 visa) such as the Innovator visa, the Start-Up visa, the Investor visa, or the Global Talent visa
These routes take 2-3 years to wait until you become eligible for ILR. The shortest wait time is around 2 years for the Investor visa, providing you still meet the requirements for candidacy.
As the Spouse of someone holding the Investor visa, you will also be eligible for this accelerated route.
- A good knowledge of the English language (as shown by either an English qualification at B1, B2, C1 or C2 level, a degree in English)
- A genuine relationship (which will need to be proven)
- A Life in the UK Test
- A complete SET(M) application form
- Sufficient finances to support yourself and any dependant children you have (if applicable)
- A valid passport or recognised identity document
- Stable accommodation arrangements for your arrival in the UK
The Investor visa (2 year)
The UK Investor Visa is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a significant financial investment in the UK.
It has been designed for applicants who intend to invest at least £2 million or more. Following five years of residence, eligible applicants may then apply for UK settlement.
It is possible to receive settled status sooner (2-3 years) if you invest £10 million.
If the UK based partner does not hold ILR, then they must have settled status or proof of permanent residence in the UK.
You must intend to live with your spouse after your arrival in the UK.
- £18,600 per year if you’re applying only for yourself
- £22,400 per year for you and one child
- £2,400 per year for each additional child
Visa processing time
The spouse visa can take up to 8 weeks to process if the application is correct and in order. You will be notified if there are any discrepancies within your application, such as insufficient evidence, incorrect documents, or false claims.
There is an option to fast track an application, where applicants can pay a premium service fee and receive a processing time of 24 hours.
UKVI publishes up to date processing times for Spouse visas on their website, which will be individual to your case.
General processing time is up to 6 months. Most ILR applications are decided in 8 weeks. It is possible to expedite certain ILR applications using super-priority service, which costs additional £800.
How can Newcastle Immigration lawyers help you?
Obtaining ILR or citizenship is a long process, which can have an uncertain result. Our Immigration team is qualified and ready to help you with visa applications or walking you through the process.
Navigating visa routes or application forms can be tricky, especially if you speak a different language.
We have friendly, experienced lawyers waiting to help you with you and your families immigration case today.
Our list of assistance includes but is not limited to:
- Provide a Letter of Representation
- Assist you in completing your application to the best it can be, including fixing errors and proofreading
- Conduct a thorough document check to make sure everything is included in your application
- Walk you through eligibility for multiple visas that best suit your needs
- Help you prepare for both the Life in the UK test and your English language examination
- Liaise with the Home Office on your behalf throughout the entire process
Comprehensive immigration advice tailored to your circumstances and goals.
Designed to make your visa application as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Fast Track Package
Premium application service that ensures your visa application is submitted to meet your deadline.
Ensure you have the greatest chance of a successful appeal. We will represent you in any case.
The Advice Package
During this untimed Advice Session with our professional immigration lawyers in London, you will receive our comprehensive advice, completely tailored to your needs and your situation.
The Application Package
With our Application Package, your dedicated immigration lawyer will advise you on your application process and eligibility. Your caseworker will then complete and submit your forms to the Home Office on your behalf.
The Fast Track Package
Our Fast-Track Application Package is a premium service for those who need to submit their application in time with their deadlines. Your case will become a top priority for our lawyers and you will benefit from our highest-quality services.
The Appeal Package
By choosing our Appeal Package, you can rely on our lawyers’ legal knowledge and experience to ensure you have the highest chance of a successful appeal. We will also fully represent you in any hearings/tribunals.